Aspect Admins

Moderator: Inner Council Reps

Micheal

Aspect Admins

Post by Micheal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:42 pm

The Light wishes to put forth the idea that not only should each aspect have a moderator, but they should have their own admin as well.

The thought process on this is so that each aspect has someone who can make changes to their forums in their own areas.

Furthermore, these 3 admins could also be granted the same capacity to the general areas and be answerable to the IC.

I like Colin and think his presense here has been helpful, but their are things each one of us might wish to do within our aspects and well... I have PM's sitting now for 2 months to him asking for this or that.
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you can't criticize."- Voltaire

Khaos

Re: Aspect Admins

Post by Khaos » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Sounds like a great idea. I know that requests have gone on for months, and I know Colin is a busy man. We are but one forum which I am sure is not top on his priority list. I appreciate simply giving us the space on his servers, and I think he would appreciate not being contacted unless there is a matter that requires his intervention, rather than simple changes we could do ourselves.

Of course, haha, we would have to contact him to make such privileges available. :lol:

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Khaos wrote: Of course, haha, we would have to contact him to make such privileges available. :lol:
The thought had crossed my mind. :lol:
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you can't criticize."- Voltaire

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Of note, Emma was kind enough to give me an email account she used to utilize to contact Colin with.

So when this is set (however it is set) I will try to contact him that way to get things changed around along with other outstanding requests we have waiting for him.

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 pm

I do not see a lot of negativity against this proposal, so unless their is something, I think we can move forward with this.

Before I send the email to Colin requesting the changes, am I correct in assuming both of you want Jillian to be your admin for your respective aspects?

I ask because Jillian has alluded that Khaos has asked her this and I have seen where Raven asked her directly and she accepted both. So just confirming.

Raven

Post by Raven » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Who is going to be LA admin?
--Raven
Shadow Master

Your vision will become clear
only when you look into your heart.
Who looks outside, dreams.
Who looks inside, awakens.

--Carl Jung

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Me

Colin
Tech

Post by Colin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:28 am

One of the problems with permissions requests is that the permissions are a mess.

Everything has been assigned manually in the past so it takes a fair bit of time to figure out what a seemingly simple request is. For example there is a current request for a public forum moderator change. I don't actually know what forums that is nor what permissions it entails so I would have to check through every single forum to make a list of those permissions before being able to change them.

I propose that we do things properly and make it a lot easier. What we need is to define clear roles of permissions - so for "Public Forum Moderator" we would have a list of forums and the exact permissions that this role grants over each forum.

See this link for a list of available permissions:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... rmissions/

Once we have a full list of roles, I can create them in phpBB then we move on to defining a list of people who have each role. Once that is comprehensive I will remove all of the current manual permissions and replace them with the roles. That makes permission changes easy as the people just need to be added to and removed from the roles.

If you want roles with more permissions then now is the time to define them and get them done properly.

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm

I will study this and prepare a proposal for you

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 pm

So here is what I am thinking.

Top dog, you Admin as you are currently set up.

Global Admins (As per current IC vote, this would be Jillian and Myself

Would have the ability to grant accesses/make new forums/be able to do everything required of them by the IC but only in the following areas:
Say Hi Here
Discussions
Fun stuff
IC Areas

Aspect Admins
Have the same abilities of the Global Admins but focused on Aspect specific areas so would be in essence 3 separate admin roles.

One for the DA (This would be Jillian)
One for the SA (This would be Raven)
One for the LA (This would be me)

Public forum Moderators

I think this is set and works (My apologies if I confused you n this when I talked about global moderators)
This role should be for those whose job it is to moderate posts (edit/delete/move to IC archives)
So would have access like the Global Admins but for moderating purposes only and not to make changes or give access.
The people who should have this at current would be: Khaos, Pelar, and Setanaoko

Aspect councils etc

For the LA I would not wish this changed from how it currently is as the council members have the abilities to add and moderate their areas. IF the DA and SA need changes for their areas they are welcome to speak up.

This is a start. But I think with this set up, we can go from there and fine tune it as is needed.

IF ANYONE SEES A FLAW WITH MY PERCEPTION HERE!!!!! PLEASE SPEAK UP IN THE FORUM!

Lets take this opportunity to get this right.