Aspect admins

Moderators: Public Forum Moderators, Inner Council Reps

Micheal

Aspect admins

Post by Micheal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm

I am opening this chain for a discussion on adding an admin position for each aspect, the IC request can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9940

This opens the 7 day discussion period for all to discuss openly on their perspective of it.
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you can't criticize."- Voltaire

Zigga

Re: Aspect admins

Post by Zigga » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:29 pm

Instead of nominating someone else, can't this new responsibility, be added to the ic rep of each aspect?
Shadows are real

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:34 pm

It can yes, but that would be for the aspects to decide for themselves.
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you can't criticize."- Voltaire

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:26 pm

This is a great idea. I'm shocked it's taken this long for it to come up, honestly.

David

Post by David » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm

If Khaos is good on it, I'm good on it.

This is not simple agreement. I say this because:

1) I enjoy my current role and do not want HoA.
2) I will allow no coups.
3) Peaceful transitions of power are not us.

Taken together, this locks him in place. So as long as Khaos is planning to be here to guard the button, I'm for it.
I will return with FA's testicles around August, 2019.

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:37 am

Until Khaos gets bored and leaves... then what? You would no longer be in agreement. Obviously, your assumptions fail under a lot of circumstances. Khaos could simply give it to somebody other than you. Khaos could retire and not give it to anybody. Somebody actually could coup... I'm not sure how you plan on stopping this hypothetical person.

You cannot vote yes on this just for a single person. You are voting that the Aspect head of any time has the power to give admin privileges to one person. I'd love to hear your logic on this one...

David

Post by David » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:52 am

My logic is let them try.

Killing Time

Post by Killing Time » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:20 am

With regards to establishing contact with Colin, where is he located in the UK? If he is nearby I could go visit him or even send him a letter?
"work in progress..."

"Renovate Animos" - Family motto

><><><><><><>

Kira

Post by Kira » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Sotunus is sending him a letter, last I checked.

I thought the HoA HAD certain admin control over the forums associated with their aspect or are we talking something else?

I recall seeing a thread about making one person of each aspect a Global Admin but I believe I saw Colin shooting it down because those people would have total access and that might be unwanted.

Let me ask this... what do you want changed? I know what I want and that's to have the new pages up, but that's access to the hosting which is above the forum.

As for this forum... what do you want to be able to do? Rather than just vote about who should get power to what... why not say why someone should have the power?

The only complaint that I recall is Khaos telling me that he can't make the Discord Chat thread a sticky thread because he doesn't have that kind of access, but that was in the technical board.

I also recall reading that we need Colin for changing IC reps.

Is that the heart of the matter or is there more?

I believe there should be another global admin... If you all are comfortable with three of them, then go for it. I simply believe it helps to make a list of the actions you would like these admins capable of performing.
Creativity is a wild mind & a disciplined eye. - Dorothy Parker

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Perhaps I should explain a little better what is being asked for.

What is being asked for is admins who would add a forum, ban someone, move chains to our archive area, changes to the aspect wiki, and to my knowledge, this would be it at this point.

Global admins are people who can delete posts within the Forum areas and each aspect already has a person who can do this. They are not admins that can do the above.

Historically, the FA has been hesitant to just give out admins because in the past, admins would grant admin status to their buddies and this led to a group of people who basically dominated the FA until in a majority... they all left. But in the meantime it led to sharing of data from private areas out in the open, and other mischief.

However, as a site, we have matured significantly since then. Not to mention, the mechanisms in place would help to prevent such a thing from happening. But their are things we want to get done around here and it would be easier if we had 3 admins around who would do it.

And the reasoning for one from each aspect is power sharing, a single admin from any given aspect out balances the aspects above and beyond what is normally seen around here. If their is to not be balance, let it be because of what the aspects teach and not because of a tech boon to them.

Raven

Post by Raven » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:15 pm

I haven't talked with the other shadows and if they disagree I hope they will speak up here. That said, Shadows don't need a "balanced" group of admins. :shock: (I know I'm saying the Shadows don't care about balance, well at least not a silly ego balance) We need 1 that is around and will do the job because they like to do that stuff and don't have an agenda outside of, I enjoy helping the site.

At one point Jillian was interested in that job, not sure if she cares about it anymore. If she chose to be a global admin I would be fine supporting her. I don't need an admin that is apart of my aspect. I need someone that is trust worth and has the skill set described above. Q showed how it's done and that's what we need.

Heck, the site owner was, maybe still is Shadow. It doesn't matter because he doesn't have an FA agenda, that's why he is a great sight owner. He is busy so an admin would be nice, but this "balance" thing is to prevent favoritism. If someone is being proposed as a global site admin that seems bias then we are choosing the wrong person.
--Raven
Shadow Master

Your vision will become clear
only when you look into your heart.
Who looks outside, dreams.
Who looks inside, awakens.

--Carl Jung

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm

My thought on Jillian was more for her to admin those areas which her changes would affect, that being the web page. But as I let her know, I didn't intend to pursue that until a few other things I am working on got cleared. If you want to champion that I am good with it.

As far as Colin being a Shadow... he was the reason we got this site so kind of is in an aspect all unto himself. But also... as I recall, Ally and Emma at one time were admins as well in the beginning (Emma at the time being DA, Ally being LA), so he himself put in this balance... with Emma stepping down, he is all that has remained.

Raven

Post by Raven » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:53 pm

MY POINT: I don't care who is an admin if they do it for the correct reasons.

i.e. someone that is around and will do the job because they like to do that stuff and don't have an agenda outside of, "I enjoy helping the site."
--Raven
Shadow Master

--Carl Jung

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Thank you for the clarification.

I think this is what we all want really. My biggest issue is avoiding 'the good ole boys team' from the last site where admins were made of other admins friends... so you had a group above the IC who ignored everything except their own desires in the absence of Andy.

In the instance noted above, Khaos/ the DA could readily decide to have Jillian admin for the DA.
You could take the job yourself or delegate it like you did your moderator, etc.

MY POINT: Admins answerable to the IC for the whole of the site and to their separate aspects for aspect specific areas.

Kira

Post by Kira » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm

I was interested in being an over-all admin.

Its a task I would handle with professionalism; however, I was not about to let it limit my personal activities on the forum. Just as I made the new discord chat without having to adopt some permeant neutral role, I thought it reasonable to handle being an admin without changing my aspect or any personal aspirations in the community.

If you think the chat is a "balanced" meeting place despite being made by a DA member, then it would seem that my aspect has no influence on those activities other than the fact that I took initiative.

Khaos has already asked me if I'd like to be the proposed "Admin for the DA" which sounds like it will not have such requirements. I will accept that if you would like to move ahead with this 3 admin idea.

As for the new pages. They would require direct access to the server that's hosting this website.
Creativity is a wild mind & a disciplined eye. - Dorothy Parker

Setanaoko

Post by Setanaoko » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Ally has never been an admin, however she does have overall ability with the Wiki (except the skin, we've never been able to figure out what skin works with the system... :/)

Anyways, Emma is the only person that has ever had admin over the boards (aside from Colin, obviously). I don't believe she ever had the ability to do anything with the mainpage- that all fell to Colin.
Gather at the River,
LJM Alethea

You are not powerless, you just need to get creative. -Me

Raven

Post by Raven » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 pm

I agree with this assessment.
--Raven
Shadow Master

--Carl Jung

David

Post by David » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 pm

Setanaoko wrote:Ally has never been an admin, however she does have overall ability with the Wiki (except the skin, we've never been able to figure out what skin works with the system... :/)
You scare me.

Setanaoko

Post by Setanaoko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 am

:lol: I'm nothing to be scared of :mrgreen:
Gather at the River,
LJM Alethea

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:49 pm

David wrote:
Setanaoko wrote:Ally has never been an admin, however she does have overall ability with the Wiki (except the skin, we've never been able to figure out what skin works with the system... :/)
You scare me.
I remember when I took Ally on as a student.
She had just finished meeting up with Joni C and Drebble in real life.
Both were in awe of her to the point that I remember Joni telling me how much of an amazon she was and unabashedly she was who she was... you could almost hear the slack-jawed verbiage in his talk... which anyone who knows Joni knows this is not him. So I will admit until I actually met her their was concern... I always thought Joni to be my height/ stature.

Evidentally, I was wrong on both accounts.

But not one to try to alleviate ones fears... my understanding is I am one of the few to be able to withstand a full on GLOMP from her without getting staggered backwards.

The GLOMP is real folks... :roll:

David

Post by David » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:06 pm

I simply meant scared for her for talking in third person.

I don't recall being swallowed by a hug at her wedding, but I'm a thick guy.

Even still, I haven't been trained to break police holds - so we played nice.

Setanaoko

Post by Setanaoko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:41 pm

David wrote:I simply meant scared for her for talking in third person.

I don't recall being swallowed by a hug at her wedding, but I'm a thick guy.

Even still, I haven't been trained to break police holds - so we played nice.
I was in a Kimono, it's hard to get swallowed with so much restriction of movement XD
Gather at the River,
LJM Alethea

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:47 pm

So all are aware, I have sent an email to Colin on this subject to answer some questions brought to me. This is tabled until he returns a response.

Micheal

Post by Micheal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 pm

I thought I would give an update on this.

A week ago I got responses via PM from Colin who I responded to.
Those responses have not been seen yet.

More to follow.