Snow

Re: Favorite Villain

Post by Snow » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Kronos wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:13 pm
Ozymandias - Watchmen.
Hell yes, what a fantastic character!
- Head of the Dark Aspect -
Freedom and the monsters that follow it home!

Khaos

Post by Khaos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Grand Admiral Thrawn

"You served too long under Lord Vader, Captain. I Have no qualms about accepting a useful idea merely because it wasn't my own. My position and ego are not at stake here."

"Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign? Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."

David- Alien Covenant.

Leto Atreides II

" Madness in method, that is genius."

ConnorL
Location: Starting Weight: 360 (October 1, 2016) Current Weight: 338

Post by ConnorL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Fuck, Thrawn is one of my idols. He isn't even a villain really, especially not in the new book.

Luciana

Post by Luciana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Lian Nichang: the White Haired Demon, the Witch Who Was Raised by Wolves.

She's not always portrayed as the villain, and some depictions focus more on the tragedy of her story than the cool part, which is where the tragedy turns her into a cold and cruel sadist.

But I first saw her in Forbidden Kingdom (2008) where she is one of the primary villains of the story: Her entry in the Villains Wiki

She is my favorite because I have built up a relationship with her over the last decade or so, allowing her character concept and archetype/ trope to teach me and influence me in own Path.

She's more or less a recluse, living alone in the Mount Heaven region. She's a powerful witch, a legendary swordswoman, and a master of qinggong.

One of the fairly constant themes surrounding her in all depictions, is her focus. In Forbidden Kingdom, she has one thing she wants, and she doesn't bother waiting around to see if the protagonist is going to live or die, or wait for "permission" from the Warlord to go and claim her prize after she defeats the protagonist - she delivers the Staff and heads straight for what she wants (I also like that she actually beat the protagonist). Similarly, in The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom (2014) she has to choose between attainment of strength and forgetting every memory she has -- and even while the guy is going "No, don't do it!" she's already doing it.

She's beautiful, deadly, single-minded in her focus and insanely driven. In many ways she shaped me into the Dark Lady I am today, teaching me that broken things heal harder, and that if you want something, you should just go and get it. Never mind what anyone else is doing. Focus.
The Dark Lady | www.orderofthesith.org

Luciana

Post by Luciana » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Second place:

Erik: The Phantom of the Opera

Again, this is a villain with several different incarnations, and it is the concept and idea that interests me most.

I generally prefer the versions where he is born deformed. I suppose I like the concept of a man who cannot hide his "monstrous" visage except without the use of a very literal mask. Unlike the rest of us, Erik has no choice but to accept that he is a monster first, and a man second.

I also prefer the versions where it is plain we are dealing with a villain. Ultimately the story of the Phantom of the Opera is the story of a madman abducting a girl more than half his age, and giving her an impossible choice - love me, or I will kill everyone you care about. In the original book, the option is even less sane. He has the Opera House rigged to blow up, and she has to choose between a grasshopper and a scorpion, and "the grasshopper hops jolly high!"

Every version that softens that leaves me a bit disappointed, though I quite like the interpretation that Susan Kay wrote. I read the 1911 original when I was 13, and Susan Kay's version shortly after. She did a good job expanding upon the frustration of the genius that Leroux had only hinted at, and I think she did a good job of exploring the concept of "relationship" between Christine and Erik without excusing him for anything he did.

"Tonight I went back to the mirror and waited for her, walled up against reality, suddenly facing a truth I had spent my entire life denying.

I was not set apart from the rest of humanity, hermetically sealed by my disfigurement from its most turbulent and treachorous emotion. I was no longer a cold, contented genius, a reigning king, or even a ghost.

I was just a man. A very desperate man, finally prepared to commit the ultimate theft."

In the Dark Path we talk about reconciling the man with his capacity to be a monster, but the reconciliation of the monster that he is also a man, is not as well examined. I think this is because most of us come from the luxury of being able to pretend we are not monsters - not so much the other way around.

I have a long-standing relationship with this character too. Practically a marriage.
The Dark Lady | www.orderofthesith.org