For the Inner Council Re: Recent Website Issues and Solutions

Moderators: Public Forum Moderators, Inner Council Reps

ConnorL

For the Inner Council Re: Recent Website Issues and Solutions

Post by ConnorL » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

IC,

As you may know, the Force Academy has recently been subject to issues regarding hosting and administration. It became such a problem that people were unable to log in to the website for a period of time until workarounds were found. At the suggestion of Khaos, the shadow rep on the IC, I took it upon myself to begin a campaign to find solutions to the problem. I began with a week long discussion thread, able to be found here. During this discussion period, Colin was absent from the forum. He updated us some with the potential issues and provided fixes earlier in the year, but it did not stop the site from breaking down.

After the appropriate time had past, I began a voting thread to measure public opinion on the matter in a quantified way. This is found here. During the voting period, Colin provided an update in this thread. It did seem to fix a few things. People began to be able to log back into the forum. Though, I'm not sure everything is 100% back in working order.

At the conclusion of the vote, we basically found support for the following actions:
1. We should set up a raft site to use in case of further issues.
2. We should set up a group of people who will revamp the website.
3. The site (including the wiki) should be thoroughly backed up regularly (perhaps once a month)
4. We should formally accept donations, at the very least.

There was no consensus regarding Colin's involvement with the Force Academy. Some people wanted to know his thoughts, but he did not provide them. I sent, to his email, a request to check out the thread and respond, and he did not.

Some people wish to monetize the site, selling an FA Book or creating some other type of content. Others think simple membership dues would suffice.

The Inner Council now has the ball in its court. Please have a discussion on this matter. In the meantime, I will begin to set up separate threads for each of the issues listed above so that we can work on having solutions ready to implement when your discussion and formal vote has concluded.

Thanks for taking the time.

ConnorL

Re: For the Inner Council Re: Recent Website Issues and Solutions

Post by ConnorL » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Bump... Also, I'm setting up the satellite threads now.

Khaos

Post by Khaos » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 pm

No reason to bump, its being discussed.

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 am

Ah. Forgot completely about the Discord IC. Thanks.